The presence of light may do more than merely allow for sight. Scientifically, light impacts important brain functions. Metaphorically, we believe
• Crows eating fireworks, Craftworks, Seattle
• Lights in Alingsås 2016, Alingsås, Sweden
• Hyatt Lobby Mural Art Lighting, San Diego, CA – with Dillonworks
• Stanford Lobby Art Lighting, Stanford, CA – with NBBJ
From small sculptural lighted artworks to large immersive environments, temporary installations to permanent, the use of light as an artistic medium can engage the senses.
Dynamic | Projected | Luminous | Tangible
• Riverpoint Science Building, Washington State University, Spokane, WA – with NBBJ
• LS Skaggs Pharmacy, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT – with NBBJ
• Knight Cancer Research Building, Portland, OR – with SRG and Luma (in construction)
Laboratory spaces and research facilities require highly specialized lighting considerations. Inspirational and functional; the goal is the work.
• Billings Federal Courthouse, Billings, MT – with NBBJ
• Beijing National Convention Center, Beijing, China – with NBBJ
• Boeing Safety and Promotion Center, Everett, WA – with Miller-Hull and Luma (in construction)
• Paul Barret Jr. Library, Rhodes College, Memphis, TN – with Shepley Bulfinch and FMSP
• Moscow Central Transportation Terminal, Moscow, Russia – with NBBJ
In public spaces like courthouses, libraries, stadiums, convention centers, airports and museums, light brings grandeur, identity, and focus.
• Eastgate Courtyard, Eastgate, WA – with JPC and Luma
• Billings Federal Courthouse, Billings, MT – with NBBJ
• NuSkin Headquarters, Provo, UT – with NBBJ
• Tudor Center Trust Site Lighting, Anchorage, AK – with NBBJ
Mostly exterior projects – landscaped areas, gardens, signage elements, and monumental features benefit from the use of light as a sculptural medium, applied to reveal form at night, or as a means for messaging.
• University of Washington Medical Center South Tower Expansion, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• Palo Alto Medical Foundation, San Carlos, CA – with NBBJ
• University Medical Center, New Orleans, LA – with NBBJ
• St. Joseph Peace Health ED, Imaging, Blood Draw, Pharmacy and Clinical Labs, Bellingham, WA – with NBBJ
• Chase Brexton Health Care, Baltimore, MD – with NBBJ
• Children’s Hospital Orange County, Orange, CA – with NBBJ
• Valley Medical Center, Covington, WA – with NBBJ
• Swedish Orthopedic Institute, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• Miami Valley Hospital, Dayton, OH – with NBBJ
• South Central Foundation PCCIII, Anchorage, AK – with NBBJ
• Overlake Hospital South Campus Expansion, Bellevue, WA – with NBBJ
Hospitals, outpatient facilities, clinics, specialty procedure suites – the lighting in such spaces should not feel institutional. Not just an assessment of visual acuity and functional performance, the design of lighting in healthcare environments requires the utmost care and creativity. Human health and healing are impacted by light.
• Tableau Northedge, Seattle, WA – with Gensler and Luma
• Google projects, Various locations – with NBBJ, Mithun
• Starbucks 83 King Street offices, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• Suning Headquarters, Nanjing, China – with NBBJ
Projects designed for single users, either by tenant improvement or single-purpose new construction, require a lighting experience guided by preference and vision, and an objective design approach.
• 1201 3rd Avenue Lobby Renovation, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• 7th and Madison, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• McKinstry Incubator Space, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
Developer driven projects, multi-use speculative projects, shell & core projects, etc. often aim to achieve optimized building performance and sustainable viability through efficient, cost-driven lighting specification.
• Yanlord Chengdu, Chengdu, China – with NBBJ
• Capital City, Moscow, Moscow, Russia – with NBBJ
• Microsoft Research and Development Headquarters, Beijing, China – with NBBJ
• Abdul Aziz Al-Babtain Cultural WAQF, Kuwait – with NBBJ
Exterior façades, projections, specialty treatments for distance viewing and integrated lighting solutions have the potential to bring something special to an urban environment.
• LACCD Mission College, San Bernadino, CA – with NBBJ
• Center for Science and Innovation, USF, San Francisco, CA – with NBBJ
• New Door Ventures, San Francisco – with NBBJ
In teaching facilities, daylight and electric lighting play symbiotic roles in providing comfortable illumination for low-distraction environments.
• Intercontinental Hotel, Beijing, China – with NBBJ
• Cleveland Clinic Glickman Chapel, Cleveland, OH – with NBBJ
• Retail storefront, Seattle, WA – with Gensler
Hotels, restaurants, retail… compelling and sometimes luxurious spaces where the quality of light may be overtly noticeable, requiring the utmost care and detailing.
• Haiku House, San Francisco, CA – with Shed Architecture
• The Bunkhouse, Cashmere, WA – with Shed Architecture
• Private Residence, Seattle, WA – with Shed Architecture
• Horizon House, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
Living spaces, houses, and art collections are especially important to those who occupy and enjoy such spaces. Lighting, an environmental treatment eliciting subjective response, must be focused on the needs of the individual.
• LSUAMC Central Utility Plant, New Orleans, LA – with Blitch Knevel Architects, Inc
• NuSkin Parking Garage, Provo, UT – with NBBJ
• Southwest Washington Medical Center Utility Plant, Vancouver, WA – with NBBJ
• Denny Substation, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ (in construction)
Central utility plants, treatment facilities, parking, and power stations – such spaces can have a positive impact on their environments, and/or be a canvas for creativity.
• PACCAR Eames IMAX renovation, Seattle, WA – with NBBJ
• Tooner Field at Turner Field, Atlanta, GA – with Dillonworks
• Mohegan Sun Casino Phase II Planetarium Dome Lighting, Uncasville, CT – with Rockwell Group and FMSP
Theatres, cinema, casinos, performance venues, themed environments, zoos, aquariums – all spaces where there are two sides to every story. The magic may lie in what we humans don’t see.